Sunday, June 6, 2021

Get to know your hockey committee



SIMON SEE (CONVENOR)

 I am Simon See and I started playing hockey for DBKL since 1975 in Local Government Games and for USM, KL Government Services team (MAKSWIP) as well as Selangor Government Services team (MAKSAK Selangor). From then on, DBKL became a team to be reckoned with when R. Ramakrishnan, who just retired from national team joined us as coach. My team mates then were James Murthy, Bhupinder Singh, Yahya Atan etc. I took part in many tournaments including USM 6 aside, Malaysian National League, International Hockey Masters & Veterans Tournaments. I also took part in the first indoor hockey tournament under DBKL (with Poon Fook Loke in the team), participated by star studded national players teams like UAB, UMBC etc in 1985 which was played at Stadium Negara. DBKL emerged champion as we defeated Police team. My favourite jersey number is 18; am 67 years old; prefers to play in midfield to keep me fit; have a lot of favourite food such as char kuey teow, rendang ayam etc. and enjoy drinks such as whiskey, stout etc. With RSC team, I travelled to South Africa (1996), Frankfurt (1998) Amsterdam (1998) and Sri Lanka (2018). 

SANJAY SAIGAL (TREASURER) 

Briefly, my name is Sanjay Kumar Saigal. I started playing hockey at age 11 and represented St. Johns Primary and Secondary schools. I developed my game with the guidance of the late Mr Vincent Fernandez. After finishing school I represented Kuala Lumpur and Selangor in various tournaments including playing for MPS in the National League and was selected for the 1989 National Juniors training squad. I had the pleasure of donning the colours of my University and Clubs while studying in the UK in the process learning the European approach to the game. I have had the privilege of playing alongside many great and talented players. As such I find it difficult to name a favourite player. I normally wear jersey No. 9 or No. 36. Most of my hockey is played in midfield and my strength I am told are control and distribution. My favourite food is anything vegetarian. Presently 53 years of age and still playing.

CHARLES LIM (SECRETARY)

 Hi guys, I’m Charles Lim and I started playing hockey at the age of 13 on a small sand pitch in Kepong Baru. I was a late starter and am extremely fortunate to have been trained by the late Mr Vincent Fernandez at St John’s Institution. With his guidance, I was a member of the school team that won the Champions School tournament in 1989 (I think that was the ‘pinnacle’ of my hockey ‘career’!) and also represented MSSWP in U-15 and U-18. Hockey has brought me places thanks to Singapore Cricket Club (SCC) and RSC. Unfortunately I do not have any favourite player(s), but am fortunate to have the opportunity to play with Malaysian hockey legends such as Foo Keat Seong, Soon Mustapha, Raymond Tio, Colin Sta Maria, Stephen van Huizen and many more today. I love my food, especially our local favourites such as nasi lemak, satay, banana leaf rice etc. My strength is my determination to never give up (in both, food and hockey!)... And many of you would already have ‘experienced’ it during our games, but it’s getting increasing difficult as I approach the big 5-0 soon! Age is only a number, say my mind... but my body begs to differ! My preferred jersey no. is 13, whenever possible.

JONATHAN CHOE (COMMITTEE) 

Hi everyone, I’m Jonathan Choe. My love for hockey began when I was 11 years old. I manage to represent my school, St.Francis Institution and state Malacca in various age group tournaments. During the National Schools U-18 MSSM, I was selected for the Kem Bakat Training Programme which was my proudest moment in hockey. My favourite local player is K.Dharmaraj, while on the International scene I grew up admiring Australian Warren Birmingham. I used to wear the No. 8 Jersey but my favourite number now is 23. Given the chance, I prefer to play in midfield. I was told that my strengths are my speed and fitness as I do not possess good dribbling skills. My favourite food is Japanese which I always enjoy with a nice chilled mug of beer. Currently 46 years old and been a member with RSC since 2005. I am always grateful to the late Mr Terry Lee for introducing this beautiful game of hockey to me.

KULDEEP (COMMITTEE)

 Hi friends, Most of you know me as Kuldeep@Kapaay and you meet me mainly in defence on the hockey pitch, where I play usually. I started my hockey in 1976 at MBS Sentul, and unfortunately I have not developed any fancy hockey skills after so many years. But, I do play hard and give my best every game (I’m still young at heart, but old in looks!). Although I have not had the privilege of representing any state, I have been very active in club hockey, namely Sentul Sports & Cultural Club Kuala Lumpur, and am happy to now contribute to RSC as well. My favourite no. is 33 and I’m not fussy with my choice of food, as long as it comes with my ‘drinks’!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment